Change Your Mind, Change Your Body
By Jagdishchandra Parikh, MD
One of the things I really enjoy is teaching my patients about yoga because it helps the body stretch out tight muscles, relax the mind, and release stress.
In my book, “Metamorphosis Change your Body, Change Your Mind,” I talk about a complete guide to weight loss including using yoga. Here I will share a highly effective stretch known as Parsvottan-Asana or Intense Pectoral Stretch.
This is a great stretch for people who are working on the computer constantly, stuck behind the wheel, and tense in the chest area.
In this pose, you perform a backward bend in the standing position, as preparation for the Warrior pose. Remember to keep your head and neck still and relaxed at all times.
- Stand up straight, with your legs slightly apart, directly under your shoulders. Then, move your right leg forward and your left leg back until they are about 3 feet apart.
- Fold your arms behind your back and grip your elbows.
- Move your breastbone forward and upward. As always, keep your head and neck passive.
- Hold for 30 seconds and relax to an upright position. Repeat once.
- As you gain more strength and flexibility, extend the exercise by bending from the hips until your torso is parallel to the floor and doing namaste, that is, placing your hands behind your back, palm to palm.